Re: 6.2 Diesel Won't Crank

From: Kenneth H Koch (m35a1@juno.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 13:12:48 PDT

My 6.2 has been starting and running fine. I don't run it that often,
about twice a month. Went out to start it last week. At first turn of the
key, it sounded like a dead battery (nothing coming from the starter, not
even clicking). Tried it again and there was a 'clunk' sound as the drive
engaged the flywheel, but it wouldn't crank. Third try and it turned over
and fired up. Okay, went out yesterday morning to try again. Same series
of events, except it just wouldn't crank over at all. Load tested the
batteries: all is well. Took the starter out, went to the shop and got a
new replacement. Put it in but no change. It appears as though the engine
is not being turned by the starter. I can turn the flywheel with a
screwdriver a few teeth at a time, so the engine is not frozen (solid,
anyway). After I do this, I can get the starter to engage and turn the
engine, but ever soooooo slowly, and it creates a massive draw and gets
the cables HOT. Anyone have any thoughts? Yes, the starter is shimmed
properly, the charging system up to snuff, and the batteries both
load-test strong.