Budd, "California Wheels", IHC...

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 13:42:17 PDT

The open, spoked wheels are often referred to
as California Wheels (atleast here in CA).
  Most guys I know just roll their eyes when confronted with anything
BUT a Budd-styled wheel.
  I'm a IHC nut, so these open spoked wheels are all over my place. The
spokes are actually cast STEEL. The RIM is split (not the ring) on
these oldies. Once the center is removed from the wheel, the tire is
quite easily mounted or dismounted because the rim folds on itself and
the tire just falls off.
  I have 70 year old rims that were surprisingly easy to take apart,
rust and all.
Don