Deuce: Cleaning contacts in starter relay. FYI

From: JJ&A (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 13:43:22 PDT

Assuming you have a LDT-465-1C engine (possibly also others), here is how to
clean the starter relay. This is not the same as the starting solenoid. The
solenoid is affixed directly on top of the starter motor.

The relay looks like a rectangle, about the size of a peach. It is affixed
directly to the side of the engine, passenger side, right behind the turbo. It
has two huge bolts sticking out the bottom, angled to the relay. It's
obvious.Those are the high contact leads. On the top of the relay are two
terminals. One goes directly to ground, possibly via a cup shaped washer. The
other lead comes from the starter switch in the cab.
    Remove the heavy leads and the one small lead. Remove the relay. Open up
only the bottom, where the heavy bolts are. Scrape the black stuff off and
polish with fine emery cloth. Reassemble. You can take the top off, but be
careful. The coil wires are kinda delicate. I found them to be frayed. I cut
them a little shorter and tinned the leads, then resoldered carefully.
    That's all there is to it. Good as new. Jim