SHOVEL DATE/APPLICATION

From: J. D. Bowen (oreuc@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 15:04:43 PDT

I'm trying to ID a Jeep Shovel and determine if it's
correct to the WWII period. It is marked "Baldwins
Optimus 2". On the backside of the blade, up near the
foot step is stamped either "TNN" or "LNN". Actually
looks like an 'L' that has a lower case 't' stamped
over it.

The Shovel doesn't show signs of ever being painted
except at the split metal handle end which shows
evidence of blue paint. A wood barrel shaped dowel
forms the grip.

The shovel was in cosmoline and I believe was brought
out of Europe in a surplus sale.

J. D.