M38 Dataplates

From: John Rozell (jrozell@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 13:23:35 PDT

Does anyone know where I might find an original serialized set of
take-off dataplates for a 1951 M38?
When I received my dusty, rusty, diamond in the rough, some not so nice
person in the past had removed all the
dash plates as well as the plate behind the passenger seat. Also, there
was no title, and at this point I'm not so sure
it was ever titled. It had been sitting in an old warehouse for many,
many years.
The engine block number has a RMC prefix, which I understand to mean
that the engine is a replacement engine. I also think that during the
M38 production, the engine and body serial numbers did not necessarily
match, if they did at all. Did
Willys ever stamp their M38 frames anywhere? I looked in the usual
places, like behind the front bumper, but all
I see right now is rust.
Based on my hood numbers which I saved, a fellow MVPA member provided me
with a suggested range
that would be correct, but it's a guess at best.
Please respond off-list and thanks in advance.

John Rozell