Re: [MV] Garage Treasure?

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 19:32:25 PDT

In a message dated 7/30/01 7:30:48 PM Central Standard Time,
rojoha@mediaone.net writes:

<< 1) What is it?
         2) Expected mpg of gas monster?
         3) Can a 5 ton diesel be put in to improve power/mileage.
         3a) Is it worth the trouble/effort?
         4) Any list wisdom on having a gas wrecker versus no wrecker?
         5)What type of problems to look for on a vehicle like this?
         6) Is $5k US a fair price? >>

Ron,
If you go to my photo album, you will see photos of a M62 gas wrecker. The
website is:
http://photos.yahoo.com/ddoyle9570

I will attempt to answer the questions in order:
mileage will vary between 2 and 3 MPG when not towing anything.
Installing a Multifuel will improve mileage and reduce performance.
Installing a Cummins will improve power and fuel economy, and empty billfold.
To swap engines will require changing radiator, exhaust system, fuel tank,
etc. NOT an afternoon job, so 3A, I'd say no.
I own as good a running gas wrecker as I could hope to, and when I can afford
a diesel wrecker, the gas will likely go, do to operation expense.

Two types of 5 ton gas wreckers match your description, the M62 and M543.
The Hydraulic oil reservoir is mounted to the passenger side of the shipper
(boom) on a 543, the M62 has the spare tire mounted there. The M543 has two
large hydraulic cylinders that lift the boom, the M62 has one really large
one to do the job. Also, the boom at rest on a M62 over the tool box, while
on a 543 the boom butt end is shorter and does not reach this far.

The 543 is the slightly newer design of the two.

On a 543 check that it does rotate, if not the parts to correct (coupling) is
expensive (multiple hundreds), or difficult to replace (early 543 have a
single piece PTO shaft that is a couple day job to replace).

Make sure the boom is not bent, and lower and extend it and have someone try
to wiggle it to check for slack.

The list of equipment that goes with a wrecker is EXTENSIVE....

Lots of blocks and tackle, chains, ropes, towbar with at least 4 different
end set ups...
Two each boom jacks in two different lengths, and feet for same, as well as
long rod to keep them from spreading.

Drop light and extension cord, lantern, crosscut saw, 20 lb sledge, two
different large pry bars, and NUMEROUS hand tools.

In addition to the poor mileage, a gas wrecker has remarkably sluggish
performance. And rear tires wear RAPIDLY.

BUT...the right-of-way is rarely an issue, one rarely runs out of torque, and
its darn handy (except when mowing the yard!!).

Hope this helps,
DD