Re: [MV] XM-443 vs Volvo 3314 "Puppy"

From: Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 10:09:51 PDT

> The project info I have on the XM-443 shows it in full bloom in
> 1958. The info I have on the 3314 Volvo shows in going into production in
> 1961 My Material calls it a "Laplander." Correction or extra info welcome
> and appreciated.

I also believe the XM-443 was earlier. There is an entry in the factory W-O
Engineering Release Forms where they procured and tested in the early 1950's
a Volkswagen and a Porsche. (I'd have to look up the dates and project
numbers.) There were also some tests regarding air-cooled engines in CJs as
well. So W-O was looking at air-cooled engines pretty early on. Whether
these tests influenced the XM-443 design, I am not sure since the
engineering records I have end in early 1954 shortly after Kaiser took over.

Todd Paisley