High Compression...

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 07:38:09 PDT

I would like to add my $.02.
 If you START at say, 6:1 comp and go to
7:1, is a higher octane gasoline really needed?
  We were told to place small wads of "Playdo"
on the tops of the valves, install head with the
gasket you'll be using, and carefully rotate motor ( if it will!).
Remove head and see how far the valves squashed the playdo (clay,
whatever). Atleast .060" clearance?
  Milling the head also creates a flow problem
across the top of the block. That's why many
were "relieved" or metal removed from the top
of the block between the valves and its cylnder.
  This stuff is getting so rare that I guess relieving might be a bad
idea.
  As far as ANY four cylinder being down on power, I guess you haven't
noticed the late-model Honda Accords JUST TEARING UP THE STREET! I'm
not a Honda fan, but I do have to work on them. They're setting low ets
at dragstrips all over the country. These things are going faster than
Big Daddy Don Garlits and his first hemi-powered (Swamp Rat?)
dragsters!!!!
  No, I don't suggest you put a Honda engine in
your jeep. I just wanted to remind you about
their power.
  Asking a flathead four or six to push your vehicle around like a new
car or truck is just
not reasonable. They've got so many design limitations to overcome.
  However, I try to drive my ancient stuff as often as possible, I like
the reaction I get
and the satisfaction from keeping these things
going!
Don