Re: [MV] Panzer III

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 12:02:06 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandon K." <c322348@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Panzer III

> Tim,
>
> Is that 1.2M Yuan you have saved, or 1.2M US Dollars?
> :-)
>
> It amuses me that there are so many busybody doubters
> on the list, especially since not ONE of them could
> afford the asking price. Why are they worried about
> this? Someone who can afford to buy a $100k lawn
> ornament like this is smart enough to not get screwed
> in this type of transaction.

Oh, I wasn't going to respond to this, but human nature being what it is, I
couldn't resist.

1) You have not one thin clue what anyone here can and cannot afford, so
your statement probably plays even more ignorant than you had intended,
which is truly an accomplishment to be proud of.

2) Deep pockets alone is a dangerous yardstick to use when attempting to
measure a level of common sense or basic intelligence, as I have personally
come across many such individuals unable to tie their shoes without six
pages of typewritten instructions accompanied by "PS" magazine-style visual
aids.

3) I'm concerned that collectors and entrepeneurs on this side of the
Atlantic are becoming marks for former Eastern Bloc vendors/agents because
of the appetite for WWII and later military artifacts coupled with the
unfortunate prevalence of 2), above, and have had exposure to dealings with
former USSR countries and will 'worry' to my heart's content on behalf of
fellow collectors anywhere I please as long as it's topical for the venue.

> If you are a buyer, please contact the seller and ask
> the relavent questions. Why trash this person without
> EVIDENCE that he is perpetrating a scam. I believe the
> e-bay ad said that he had the required export permits.
> It would be easy to set up an escrow account that paid
> the seller once the vehicle was on the ship.

This I will agree with, in principle, but a little bit of healthy
speculation is good for the soul - and as we draw on past experiences to
form current opinions every, single, solitary day of our lives, you
shouldn't be surprised to see that reflected in a few posts here.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.