Oil Leak in Deuce and 5 Ton axles (A Solution!!!!)

From: Winget, Adrian JTFCS5G (winget@jwfc.jfcom.mil)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 06:37:09 PDT

For those of you that have been experiencing oil leaks into the bearings of
the M35 Series (and 5 tons, possibly others) Here's a fix that I found in an
old PS Magazine last night (Easy to miss if you weren't aware of the need
for a fix)

There is supposed to be a tiny (Small as in REALLY Small) chunk of cork
placed in the keyway slot before you slip the slotted seal washer on the
outer bearing. This in effect seals the leak hole from oil that makes it
past the inner seal (Some will apparently). I bet all the replacement kits
had it, but it gets tossed out as scrap because it's so SMALL. Seems when
the oil passes the inner bearing it finds that hole in the keyway under the
outer bearing and then goes into the hub, leaking out into brakes and
washing out the grease. This small cork piece STOPS that leak.
For those that need it, the reference is pg 8-9 of PS issue 363, Feb 1983
(took them long enough to get that point out...)
So it's:
Hub / bearing / cork insert / seal / nut / lock washer / nut And they
are nice enough to point out it's NOT mentioned in the TM -20.

You can make it with a regular piece of cork sheet, and it would appear the
width/ height of the keyway, (Seems to fit under the Bearing race at the
back edge) and tapered at the back spindle edge as the machining of the
keyway groove tapers off. Sort of like this from the side:

_______
/
                                                                I_____ /
The seal then pushes it home, so don't make it TOO big.

Maybe this will help some of you out. Now that I have a deuce I'm perusing
all the old PS mags to see what poop can be gained/
Regards
Adrian Winget
Hampton, Va.

'77 TOW missile MUTT M825 (Seeking sights and ANY other parts for the
system)
'67 Kaiser M35A2
'42 Dodge Command Car
'42 GPW
German Pioneer 3 Ton Half Track
Numerous Anti-Tank Artillery/ Artillery pieces