Re: [MV] Bud wheels

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 09:22:37 PDT

You guys on the east coast and way down there in Texas have been in the heat
too long! (;->)

Everyone in the Midwest know that there are two types of truck wheels:

Budd Wheels:
Budd wheels which have the stamped steel centers, with a inner stud, a
special outer stud/nut that has is basically a hollow stud that threads over
the inner stud and holds on the inner wheel, and then the outside nut that
holds on the outside wheel. The outer stud requires a square socket to drive
it on - I think it is 13/16" at least on my M51.

Dayton Wheels:
These have cast center hubs and utilize wedges and clamps to hold the rims
on. The rims do not have any center disks and the hubs are actually the
wheel centers. I'm guessing but I bet that GM came up with this wheel
design way back when and they were probably made at a plant in Dayton, Ohio.

I have never heard of Webb wheels - althought the hubs do sort of look like a
web design.

FWIW,
Dave