Re: [MV] Anyone in Canada have a Sherman for sale!

From: Colin Macgregor Stevens (seaforth72@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 21:27:22 PDT

If you find one for sale in Canada, check that you can get it into the USA,
BEFORE you buy it. BATF and Form 6 and all that stuff.

Apparently it is OK to import Nazi and Soviet armour into the USA, but not
US made armour? A Sherman that was in Canadian service would NOT likely be
Lend Lease as we BOUGHT our vehicles. Most Shermans in Canada are the late
war Lazy 8 models which Canada bought after WWII. Our war time Shermans were
mainly left overseas I believe.

A couple of Shermans have left British Columbia for the USA in the last
couple of decades. None available here that I know of. Maybe in Ontario?

Just heard tonight at a local car show, where we had about 13 or 14 military
vehicles on display including my 44 MB, from a driver of an M35A2 with ring
mount for .50 cal. Washington State apparently classifies the gun MOUNT as
secondary armament, and unless permission has been granted (apply months in
advance, and time slot for permission is VERY narrow), then they can seize
it, AND levy a $250,000 (US$ presumably) fine. Scary! And here our
governments are talking about a more open border! :-(

I cannot quote chapter and verse of the regulations so I hope that I am not
spreading an incorrect story. On the other hand, better safe than sorry!
Governments love to say that ignorance is no excuse.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
**** My e-mail system lost 34 messages 2001 July 28, and another 20 or so on
Aug 1/2.. If you wrote then and have had no reply, please send again. ****
NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS to try to avoid lost messages: seaforth72@hotmail.com
Can still reach me at old one: colin@pacdat.net
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977) http://www.westerncommand.com
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/colin_stevens'_1944_willys_mb_photos.htm