Re: [MV] Alcohols/brake fluid

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 01:09:42 PDT

Excellent reference source, and I apologise as I did have the numbers
reversed; a typical example of the possible confusion with two very
different fluids being separated by 0.1 spec difference.

Owing to e-mail line wrap you need to add the "&TYPE=TEXT" without spaces
after "116" for a valid address.

It appears that the DOT specs are used world-wide, certainly in Europe
anyway but we don't have the sensible labelling requirement as stated at
para. s5.2.2.1 (b), outlets are placing large warning signs on shelf edges
that DOT 5.1 is NOT silicon based.

AP Lockheed made a press release that was carried by the automotive press
here including the classic car and MV magazines, that somewhat warns against
silicon fluid use, I posted this verbatim 17/03/01 and can re-post if anyone
is interested. Broadly, they either have a valid point or, as its not made
by them they do not recommend its use. (No profit motive).

The other feature that suddenly hit me looking at this huge and exhaustive,
official US specification, was that it is written entirely in metric units.
. . . . . .
:-O

Not always is the imperial equivalent given in brackets too, so you guys
across the pond had better get up to speed with millimetres, deg. C,
millilitres and kilo-Pascals.

Whatever is it coming to ?

Can we expect Norm Abram to appear on TV shortly saying "That's two-twenty
one millimetres" instead of "six and eleven-sixteen, heavy" . . . . . . . .
. .?

Richard
Southampton - England