Re: [MV] Weare Photos

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 17:13:01 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Winnington-Ball" <gwball@sympatico.ca>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 4:23 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Weare Photos

> GAAAK!!!
>
> Ahem, sorry, Richard, frog in me throat... :-)

Oh dear, you don't usually have that problem. . . . . . . . . . . . .

> For the unenlightened among you, I shall now translate...
>
> These most EXCELLENT pictures (note their natural predominance on the
> web page :-), are of a Canadian-manufactured, late-war C8A-PERS 'Heavy
> Utility Personnel' van (hence, 'HUP').

Whilst Ford and Chevrolet (Canada) generally matched each other in parallel
production, I am intrigued why some models are peculiar to each, all the HU
types for example was Chevy only and others looking at Vanderveen's list
also.

> This particular specimen of an HUP is unique. Owned by collector Phil
> Waterman of Temple, New Hampshire since 1979, this has been verified as
> the one and only HUP owned and operated by the BBC (British Broadcasting
> Corporation) New York office in 1945 (hence the markings).
>
> Richard, if you recall, you met Phil and his wife at Beltring this year!

Regretfully no, but I claim encroaching old age and many interesting people
causing overload of the five remaining brain cells. Had you mentioned this
unique truck at the time I might have had better recall, my loss.

> PS: The tyres should rightly be the now non-existent low-profile 9.25 X
> 16 types, and yes, with any number of the Commonwealth NDT patterns such
> as that found on the T-24 tyre.

Indeed you'll never see the 9.25 x 16s now in that peculiarly Canadian
pattern, however, Ferret 9.00 x 16 T24 Trakgrip are available and have the
classic long sidewall lug every other bar, these are run-flats of course and
each one is a potential hernia to lift.

>And yes, the blackout light is on the
> wrong side... but the question occurs to me, would it even have had
> either the light or the bridge plate if it were only in service in North
> America?

Who can tell, it doubtless was to the standard when leaving the plant but in
such unusual service perhaps anything could have happened.

It is customary to see the bridge plate and BO light replaced with regular
headlights here as this is the one bit of law that is retrospective,
vehicles must have two headlights; pre-war it was common to have the outer
light (RHS) go off and the inner (LHS) dip left either with a dual filament
bulb or often a solenoid that swivelled the whole reflector assembly, this
is now both illegal and dangerous.

Detachable lights are accepted though and allow the vehicle to be
show-ground correct, we fear in some trepidation the full harmonisation of
EU law which will doubtless be to the most stringent member standard.

I am waiting to see the pictures of the special CMP only gathering at
Beltring this year appear on MLU, Geoff ?

 Richard
Southampton - England