Alternative Fuels for the Deuce

From: Winget, Adrian JTFCS5G (winget@jwfc.jfcom.mil)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 06:16:58 PDT

>From recollection, I read in the "Battlefield Damage Assessment and Repairs"
(or such a title) for the Deuce (they had a new series come out in the late
80's on each "type" vehicle, sort of like the old vehicle recovery manuals)
Anyway, it discussed the "mix" of fuels ratios to various substitutes with a
chart in the back of the manual. Things like crankcase oil, mixed with ? %
of regular Diesel, etc. in and emergency to "get you home" (only in a combat
situation, as they are going to hit you with a "Statement of Charges" as
soon as you do it in Peace Time)
Don't have it handy to check, but that would be the first place I'd go when
looking for the answer.

The list had discussed the fact the sensor in the fuel distributor meters
the flow density, adjusting for thicker/thinner fuels automatically (but
within limits) When someone had one they bought from DRMO that was sticking
from non-use.
Remember, the Army switched from Diesel to JP8 (jet fuel for the helicopters
and those pesky M1 tank turbines) for all it's fuel in the late 80's. We
lost the smoke screen capability for the Bradley's and the M1's, as it
didn't produce nice white billowing smoke when sprayed into the exhaust
manifold as well.
PS: Rig your deuce for the manifold injection of fry oil, then you could
make your own smoke screen.......

Regards Adrian Winget
Hampton, Virginia
Still seeking TOW Missile stuff for the MUTT.

M35A2
Bunch of Arty
TOW MUTT
GPW