Re: [WT] Lhead engine in CJ3B frame

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 11:30:51 PDT

Hello to David C Turman:

>Snip>
>to drop an L head 134 in a CJ3B frame in place of the F head? >

Some questions here based on my recent experiences with a brand new rebuild
flathead.

Firstly,
What do you plan to do with the jeep, will it be a Daily driver???
A daily driver with 12 to 15 hp LESS, than you're used to having ...will
be a bear to get used to slowing down on every hill.

Then again if you "don't" have the experience of the more powerful F head
engine... then, What the heck, I say ...go for it !

Now, if you live with lots of medium to larger size rolling hills or
bigger, then chances are this...
with the Lil' flathead you WILL be changing back to second gear more often
than you would like.
With my MB I just don't care about the extra power as "it is a piece of
history" and I just plain love it with the Lil' flathead engine.

Now for my second thread of this posting
This "should" inflame the Willys purists ?
 But I have to answer to an higher authority !
The wife.
She wants to drive the jeep with power to spare and prefferably but "not"
necessarily an Auto Transmission

So... with a daily driver I'm soon to go with the addition of a very easy
transplant !
It's too easy for words.
Either a 22R 4 cyld Toyota with a 5 speed manual box out of an 86 pickup
or an 18RC 4 cyl Toyota with a three speed auto tranny out of a 73 Celica.
The Celica, we used to drive. It was Fast, even with a 3 speed auto with
nearly twice the HP of the flathead.

In the beginning, I will be going to 2 wheel drive only, and NO transfer
case !
I have already looked into keeping the seperated transfer case and having a
friend build the adapter to run the original Transfer case about 8 inches
further back.

This means the output shaft from any "Powerful 4 cyl & Tranny" can still
operate the original Transfer case.
Then, lengthening the front drive shaft and shortening the rear one.

This would give me an auto tranny or a five speed while having the 4 wh
dr., still able to operate.
Yesterday I was at a drive shaft rebuilder to pick up some tips and make
sure I'm on the correct track as far as the mating of the Toyota's output
shaft yoke to the willys rear drive shaft.

Hate me if you will... but, you don't have to live with my wife
...Ahhmmmnnn ???
And my MB ? It will stay all Original !!!

Old jeep breath
aka; Aussie Rob, that Australian bastard... and a few others !
upstate, NY
 42 MB and a gaggle of CJ2As etc.