Fryer fat/Biodiesel

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 06:00:49 PST

I have been working on a project over the last year or so on running diesels
on fryer oil.
Basically there are 2 types-Biodiesel and SVO or WVO(straight veggie oil or
waste veggie oil)
Biodiesel-is fryer grease that has been processed or in some countries
unused veggie oil that has been processed.Caustic soda and methanol are
added to seperate the glycerines(fats) out of the oil and reduce the
viscosity so that the end result(boidiesel)can be used with no changes to
the motor.That's the theory and many practice this.Now the practical end of
things-Biodiesel has chemical residues that will attack rubbers and certain
metals.It is also a solvent type of fluid that will loosen any and all crud
collected in your engine over the years and when traveling through the oil
galleries it could plug things up.Some motors do fine and others don't.
SVO or WVO-this is veggie oil after it has been fine filtered and through
various mechanical methods has the viscosity reduced because it has about
twice the viscosity of regular diesel.Many diesels can be run on a 50/50 mix
of diesel and SVO with nothing done to the motor.The biggest problem with
SVO is the thicker viscosity can hurt the injector pump depending which
style you have.There isn't a problem of lubrication but to give you an idea
of what happens-picture a motor that normally uses 10W and try to run it on
50W.Get the picture?
there is nothing new about this technology because the Germans have been
doing this since during WW2.I am in contact with one fellow who has
1,250,000KM on his Mercedes on SVO.that's right-one million plus!There is a
club in Germany of over 300 members with variuos vehicles and diesel engines
all running SVO.
If all goes as planned I will be travelling across Canada next summer in a
group of Land Rovers with various diesel conversions all running on SVO.
Any diesel can be run on SVO.The very first diesel built by Rudolph Diesel
ran on peanut oil.
Andre