Re: [MV] Alternative Fuels for the Deuce

From: paul carrier (paulc@teleport.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 23:11:44 PDT

At 09:16 AM 8/14/01 -0400, you wrote:

>Remember, the Army switched from Diesel to JP8 (jet fuel for the helicopters
>and those pesky M1 tank turbines) for all it's fuel in the late 80's. We
>lost the smoke screen capability for the Bradley's and the M1's, as it
>didn't produce nice white billowing smoke when sprayed into the exhaust
>manifold as well.

You should see what JP8 does when used after commercial diesel.
Bad juju for the filters.

Last year se still used commercial at home station when we got to our AT site
they supplied us with JP8. My M109 and M923 wern't as bad off as I don't
move them
much during AT so they still had a partial load of commercial fuel.
But my HMVEE's and HEMET wrecker see a bunch of miles.
By Monday of the second week the HMVEE's were stalling out at idle.
The first set of new filters didn't help that much.
On the run home the M998 I drove back could just barely break 55mph
It took new filters all around back at home station and a few more tanks of
fuel to
clear up.

SSG Paul D. Carrier
Readiness NCO (63H & 45K)