cucv diff

From: Military Vehicles Database (cmpdbase@telusplanet.net)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 21:33:14 PDT

Listers,
I had both pinion seals replaced on my M1008 cucv.
After the repairs, I thought the rear pinion seal was leaking as there
was gear oil on the springs and shocks on both sides of the differential
housing and on the bottom of the box. My assumption was the gear oil
was being sprayed around as the driveshaft turned.
The owner of the shop that did the work, said that prolonged driving was
building up pressure in the rear end and the gear oil was being forced
out of the vent tube, falling on the rear yoke and being sprayed around
under the box. I told him the maximum speed was 40 mph and the distance
was from my house to his shop.
First, anyone heard of such a pressure buildup? The rear end is a GM
commercial locker with 4.56:1 gear ratio.
Second, for interest sake, why do they have vent tubes on 4x4
differentials? A 4x2 doesn't have them.
To check the mechanics theory, I am moving the vent tube down by the
frame so any fluid cannot drip onto the yoke. If the pinion seal is
leaking, there should be gear oil present, if not the yoke should be
dry.
Ian
M1008CDN