Re: [MV] How to avoid spreading computer viruses

From: Dave Merchant (kosh@nesys.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 08:04:47 PDT

I've used Eudora for many years, currently running a slightly old
version of Eudora Pro. It really immunizes you from the viruses.
It just ignores them.

Another thing is to run a firewall.
What you don't realize is there are robots wandering the net,
rattling doors to see if they can get in. If you don't have a
firewall, they can walk right in and set up housekeeping.
ZoneAlarm is generally considered the best,
and it's a free download.
Don't know how they make money that way,
guess they make it up in volume.

-Dave Merchant

At 09:30 AM 8/16/2001 -0400, wwd@netheaven.com wrote:
>But first:
>
> Disable 'VB script' option in your email program.
> Disable 'hide file-type extensions' in folder options.
> Disable any 'auto-open email attachments'.
>
>Better yet, get a third-party email program. You do not *have* to use
>Outlook Express just because it is there. See www.tucows.com for many
>excellent email programs. Since each one has a different default structure
>you are much safer by definition. Also, of course you can run a
>non-Microsoft operating system like MacOS, BeOS, Linux, OS/2 Warp,
>FreeBSD, etc and not be exposed to virus/trojan/worm nonsense in the first
>place.
>

>In <list-1246176@skylee.com>, "Stu Ellis" <stuellis@mediaone.net> said:
>
>>This may stop the viruses spreading to list members.
>
>>To avoid spreading computer viruses, create a contact in your email
>>address book with the name
>
>> !0000
>
>>with no email address in the details.
>
>>This contact will then show up as your first contact.
>
>>If a virus attempts to do a "send all" on your contact list, your PC will
>>put up an error message saying that:
>
>--
>wwd@netheaven.com

Dave Merchant
http://www.nesys.com
http://www.nesys.com/3d.html
http://www.nesys.com/HCEA/index.html
http://www.ncweb.com/users/kosh/
kosh@nesys.com
kosh@ncweb.com

"Ah-roger, Stealth, we have you on radar!"