Re: [MV] 5-ton remote clutch control

From: Mark J. Blair (mblair1@home.net)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 08:26:15 PDT

Cougarjack@aol.com wrote:
> Don't do it! You NEVER want to be standing outside in front of the
> truck, ne ar the winch, when you're winching. Proper procedure is to
> engage the onboard winch clutch control, then climb into the cab and
> shift the pto into gear. U se the foot clutch to control the winch.

Maybe my posting wasn't clear enough, but I had no intention of using
my proposed remote clutch control during actual winching. I would
control the winch from the cab, as intended. My intention was just to
use it to feather the clutch in order to get the shift lever on the
side of the clutch housing in or out of engagement, when setting up
for winching or cleaning up afterwards. As I recall, one of the
dataplates on the winch housing instructs the operator to feather the
clutch in order to get the engagement lever in or out of gear, rather
than forcing it. My only intention was to make it possible to do that
from the front of the truck, because otherwise I can't do it without
an assistant. When I ran into this problem, I wasn't winching
anything... I was just trying (unsuccessfully) to unwind the winch
cable, which was not wound properly on the drum, and then rewind it
using the built-in cable tensioning device.

> Still, winchin g is frightfully dangerous, so don't modify the
> existing equipment. It's well engineered, and will work well and
> protect you as far as possible. Spend you r $$ and time getting all
> those levers and detents working smoothly, then kee p them clean and
> lubed.

Yes, I plan to fix all of those levers and detents... but I suspect
it'll still be necessary, at least sometimes, to slip the clutch a bit
in order to get the engagement lever on the clutch housing in or out
of gear. Heck, it says so right on the dataplate.

Am I missing something here?

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/