Re: [MV] rifle mount in M151

From: Jumpmaster (the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 16:15:18 PDT

--- Bobby Joe Pendleton II <bobbyjoe@chartertn.net>
wrote:
> Does anyone here have a rifle mount in their mutt?
> Is it as awkward as it looks?

I'm making the (perhaps incorrect) presumption that
you're referring to the M16 rifle mount and not the M4
pedistal mount. I've never seen an M16 mount actually
installed and in use in a MUTT...I have the original
-10 manual for it (gotta love the bright orange
highlights in there) where it shows the rifle mounts.
That can be a little misleading because the way the
retainer bracket is positioned in the manual is
presumably the way they're supposed to be during
non-use.

Finally getting my rifle in the mounts in my CUCV, I
think it might not be as bad as it looks. If the
rifle fits as securely in the MUTT as it does in my
CUCV, it will take a little more effort than you might
imagine to deploy the weapon and you might fear for
your fingers' safety :-)...it's really not bad though
and it rides very securely, at least in the CUCV.

I'm going to take pictures of my rifle mounted in the
CUCV and put them on a webpage so folks can see what
it looks like. It can be a little misleading at
first, how much effort is required to get the thing
into and out of the rack.

T. Bloxom
1985 M1009 CUCV

p.s. God, I love Texas. :-)