Give it to me straight, List

From: Kerry Bernstein (kbernste@us.ibm.com)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 16:55:53 PDT

Well, I hope my list friends will give it to me straight.
What disease does our M35's 1D turbo engine have?
We gunked the engine off tonight, then ran it and found the mystery oil
leak
- Oil's coming from between intake and exhaust manifold ports of front
cylinder.
- Headgasket seam is dry
- Valve cover gasket is fine
Truck is running great, and no apparent coolant in the oil .
A couple possible scenarios
1) Head cracked (does anatomy of head include an oil journal in that
space?)
     (hard to believe that massive a piece of iron could break)
2) Oil coming via intake manifold from turbocharger (why then only one
cylinder leak?)

I appreciate any insights. Thanks, crew.

Kerry Bernstein (going broke - OD style)
1970 M35A2 "Big Mike" (leaking)
1993 son "Big Mike" (concerned brother of M35)