are you in Kansas?

From: Chris Hass (cjhass@midusa.net)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 17:54:03 PDT

are you in Kansas?

esteemed fellow listers....

    I am on the board of directors of our local chamber of commerce (still
don't know how that happened!!! ) Last year for the first time in many
years we had a Veteran's Day Parade in our fair city of Lyons, Kansas. We
hadn't had a good parade and celebration of our veterans here for many
years. In the course of other C of C activities, many people asked me why
the C of C didn't have a Vet's day parade anymore and I explained to them
that the Veterans organizations here in town were the ones that put on past
parades, not the C of C. After a few good friends raised the same question
to me i got to thinking maybe i should give it a try (uh-oh, he's thinking
again...) since the veterans are sadly getting older and just not able to
pull it off any more, well, to make a short story even longer, I did try,
the response was fantastic. The other directors of the board told me to go
for it, the C of C would back my efforts. It was a helluva lot of work for
myself and one very dedicated close friend (would NOT have happened without
her!) ( BTW, her e-mail is sogwalis@hotmail.com and Debbie is her name if
a vet wants to say thanks). The National Guard showed up as well as the
Army MP reserves, WWII pieces (5) from the Great Bend Army Airfield Museum.
Counting the school bands, antique cars and floats over 60 pieces were in
this parade. Might have been the biggest parade in Lyons, ever. Anyway,
after seeing the tears in the eyes of the Veterans and all the big OD
rolling through town I was struck with OD fever and bought a 1952 M135 that
had been sitting in a shed for years. Still working on her, slow but sure.
That's how i became interested in MV's and came upon this list.

SO HERE'S THE DEAL---

I want this years parade to be even better than last year's. So, anybody in
Kansas or anywhere else for that matter is invited to come to Lyons on Sat.
10 Nov. 2001 and show your stuff. The Line up will probably be at 0900.
Last year we coordinated our efforts with the High School's program and had
a place in the parking lot for static display of all vehicles after the
parade. am hoping to do this again.

If you are interested in participating, drop me a line with your name and
address and i will send an entry form or if I am smart enough i will create
an e-form for you to fill out, or i could post it to the list if you guys
and gals think i should.....

LAST, BUT NOT LEAST----

here's the url to my very first try at creating a web page....
It's about my very first try at putting on a parade!!!...

http://homepage.netspaceonline.com/~cjhass/

Please -- all comments welcome.. and I would greatly look forward to
meeting some of you fine folks in person. maybe Jerry will bring some of
those cans of His ;-)

Chris J. Hass
Lyons Kansas
1-800-573-3191 Work (Jones Oil Co.)