Converting M1009 back to 24v...With air conditioning...

From: Jumpmaster (the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 20:09:24 PDT

Howdy...

I'm having thoughts about attempting to convert the
M1009 back to 24v from it's current 12v configuration.
 (SOMEBODY STOP ME, QUICK!!! :-) )

What I was thinking is the ambulance version of the
CUCV (the M1010) had air conditioning and also the
24v, 200amp alternator, right? I know I'd need to
switch out the starter also...

The truck currently has a largish (8000lb. rated) Warn
winch on it that will be removed, so I'll be attaching
the slave plug on the front again. The winch power
goes through a hole where the slave plug used to be.
Also, there is a 6.5L turbo diesel in it now instead
of the original 6.2 NA.

Does anyone here have any experience in such a
project? I really hate to put military vehicles back
to original 24v systems because the previous owners
have usually done such hack jobs that it can get
pretty expensive. My main concern is where to attach
the 24v alternator and what bracket I would need.
There is a spare groove on the crankshaft pully and
I'm thinking (perhaps mistakenly) that the M1010 would
have had this bracket and it -might- fit the 6.5L TD
motor.

Any help appreciated. I'm sure someone on the list
will probably have info on this. There's quite an
abundance of knowlegeable folk here! :-)

T. Bloxom
1985 M1009 CUCV