Braden winch--HELP!!!!!

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 20:51:02 PDT

Greetings kind listers!,

I have a friend who is very helpful and sympathetic to our hobby (aka.
habit). Besides that his owns a whale of a body shop and wrecker service, so
I feel it's my obligation to help him out. This may be slightly off topic,
but not really since Braden winches were used on GI trucks too.
He has a Braden winch that he is trying to restore. We believe it is a 20
ton. That's really all we know about it, other than it is PTO driven, has
5/8" cable (just a guess), the drum is about 1ft. long.
What we need to know is how to remove the worn gear shaft. On one end is the
u-joint, on the other is a adjustable tensioner. After one or the other is
removed there is a 4 bolt plate to get inside. Which would be easier to
remove? How are they fastened on? Does anyone have any exploded views of a
winch like this? We are kinda working in the dark, since nether of us have
ever disassembled a winch before.
Any help appreciated !
Many thanks!!!!
Keith