Re: [MV] CUCV spring pads

From: uniquemachine@air1.net
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 10:33:01 PDT

Chris

    I have a 1976 Chevy Blazer that is EXTENSIVELY modified. One of the main items were a complete axle swap from a one ton Chevy pickup doner. the best rear axle you can use (IMHO) and is a direct replacement is a GM corporate 14-bolt rear end with the stock limited slip unit. It came with 4.56 gearing, but I replaced it with 4.88 ( I run 35-36 inch tires) You will have to modify your driveshaft lenght though. I found my axle by looking through the sales papers under the 'vehicles to part out' section. I went over there and checked out the axle, pulled it myself and saved alot of money. Get the type that has the removable pinion housing, as it is much easier to set up. Also make sure that the truck used single rear wheels and not doubles. For the front, find the Chevy Dana 60 front end. I have a locker in the front axle also. When you get the front axle, be sure to get ALL of the mounting hardware for it, as it is different than the other axles (1/2 and 3/4 ton) !
on passenger side. Braking performance is much increased and strength is awesome. I also put in a NP203 gear drive transfer case and a solidly rebuilt 700R4 overdrive transmission with a small block 400 motor. I will try to answer any other questions that you might have.

Jon Emray
Unique machine and engineering
Uniquemachine@air1.net

He y'all,

Got a CUCV question for you. Are the spring pads on the M1009 Blazer the

same distance apart as the spring pads on the M1008 pick-up? I was told

they were before. My rear end is getting ready to grenade in my M1009 for

the third time (too much tire, off-road use, and bad gears) and I have a

line on a set of 1-ton axles that I could swap. My custom 1-ton driveshaft

already has the 1350 joints on it so it will match up. The place with the

axles also has some tires and wheels. The 4.56 gears would be nice too and

it would give me about 3/4" more height since tubes are bigger. Any help

would be appreciated. Yes, I know I'll be modifying a military vehicle, but

my daily driven, 100k plus mile truck is way beyond stock anyway so please

save your flames for someone who puts a mint slat grille body on a Chevy

S-10 chassis. :o) Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Chris Stansbury

Memphis, TN