Deuce Steering Gear Leak ALSO DoD CID about the TOW

From: Winget, Adrian JTFCS5G (winget@jwfc.jfcom.mil)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 07:52:58 PDT

Anyone try using a higher grade lube in a steering gear to prevent drips.
Seems my M35A2 sprung a leak, and it looks like 10 wt leaked out. Should be
80/90 by the book. I'll try it, but was wondering if it's a problem others
have encountered (like the poor GI's that fill it with ATF fluid, as they
think it's like their car with power steering, etc.)
Has anyone used thicker lube just to preclude the service requirement of
changing the seal? Model T's used 600 wt in the rear for years, as there
was no true seal between the casting sections. Thought to use something
like GAA, cut with 90 wt.

Regards Winget

PS: In a future installment I'll describe all the fun I've had from the DoD
CID guys over my TOW jeep that I took to the Fort Lee MVPA show. Apparently
someone called the DoD fraud Waste Abuse hotline, and feels there is
something "wrong" with someone owning a TOW. (This is not about the "live
missile" offer someone made to me by the way, totally different, concerning
the actual system components)
  Wish they would have talked to me first, as I could have shown them how
difficult a real missile would be to fire from a system such as I have. Oh
well, the opportunity to "train" some Non-TOW guys on the system is fine by
me, that's my ultimate goal anyway. This is equivalent to the poor kids that
draw a picture of a pistol in school and get suspended. Bring on the black
helicopters next. WAW

PPS: I'm still asking ALL of you to tell me about leads on the TOW missile
system parts. My goal is to have one of the finest TOW systems available
for presentation to the public at events. It will never fire a round,
merely help inspire our youth to keep an open mind about "joining" in
service to their nation, and honor those of us that used the system, while
preserving an historical example of the anti- tank platform, etc.

Oh, and I can now tell you the things that are required for "demil" in case
you need to know, "By the book!".

67 M35A2 W/W
42 GPW
42 3/4 Cmd Car