Re: [MV] Deuce Steering Gear Leak

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 18:12:36 PDT

>Anyone try using a higher grade lube in a steering gear to prevent drips.
>Seems my M35A2 sprung a leak, and it looks like 10 wt leaked out. Should be
>80/90 by the book. I'll try it, but was wondering if it's a problem others
>have encountered (like the poor GI's that fill it with ATF fluid, as they
>think it's like their car with power steering, etc.)
>Has anyone used thicker lube just to preclude the service requirement of
>changing the seal? Model T's used 600 wt in the rear for years, as there
>was no true seal between the casting sections. Thought to use something
>like GAA, cut with 90 wt.

I use a grease/oil from Mobil called EP-023 in both my front hubs and my
steering box. It is a half grease half oil and can best be described simply
as being very sloppy. It will flow but it will only spread out so far. It
was designed for hard to seal gear boxes like the front knuckle housings.
My steering box was leaking and I decided to try this stuff in there as an
experiment, what do I have to loose at this point? So far no leaks and
everything is fine. The stuff only comes in 5 gallon pails however. But if
you get a 5 gallon type grease pump unit and put a hose on it, it makes real
easy work of filling both the knuckles and the steering box.

later,

je