Re: [MV] Colour me Moroccan

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 18:37:18 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jumpmaster" <the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com>
To: "chance wolf" <timberwolf@wheeldog.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 2:21 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Colour me Moroccan

> > So, now they want me to figure out what the actual
> > colours are so they can repaint an aircraft closer
> > to home to match the original Moroccan one[...]then
> > I can make my own 'paint chip' and trot it down to
> > one of the local paint stores.
>
> Hi there...
>
> I'm not sure if the laws in Canada are similar to
> those in the US, but aircraft must be painted by an
> FAA paint shop and possibly with special paint.

Ahh...here's something topical for anyone wanting to rent their kit to a
film - grounded or flying.

What they use for 'temporary' paint in these circumstances is a concoction
typically called "Whisky Wax"; so called because the 'thinner' portion of it
is in fact very cheap rye-type-junk, frequently "Crown Royal" or something
equally indigestible, which takes the place of any Toluene, Xylene or garden
variety Enamel Reducer. So, you can formulate a paint that's the right
colour, but one that's also generally quite impermanent and readily removed
with something like a pressure-washer or a lot of local kids with buckets of
soap, water, and hopelessly gritty rags. That's to be the fate of the
aircraft they rented from Alaska once we get the FS-595 numbers nailed down,
and provided the aircraft's existing paint is nice, solid and shiny - it
should be able to return to flying Alaska's bush-routes with cargoes of
evil-smelling fish and Ski-Doo parts with most of its original livery
intact.

We have had a problem with "Whisky Wax" formulations on military vehicles,
though - chiefly because the paint on army vehicles is nice and flat,
causing the W.W. formula to adhere a little more tenaciously than would be
encountered with nice, shiny collector cars, hot rods and Cessna's. A
_lot_ more tenaciously, truth be told, as we wrote off new paint-jobs on
several vehicles rented to "Harsh Realm" when the W.W. wouldn't come off
with through any amount of pressure washing, swearing, and/or the most
unkind chemical assualts ever devised by man. I've left our Dneiper/BMW
Wehrmacht m/c and sidecar unrepainted as it will likely always be playing a
shabby WWII Wehrmacht machine, but the Mungas and some of the other things
they rented play all sorts of other nations for most of their careers, so
they got a new paint job courtesy of FOX.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.