M35A2 woes

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 16:22:12 PDT

A non list club member (28 k modem) brought his truck (a 1D) to our campout
this weekend and at medium to low engine speeds has one hell of a miss.
Starting is long cranking before catching with HUGE quantities of white
smoke. Pulling away in first sounds like a 2 stroke diesel.
    He got it last August from one of the larger truck vendors. It has had
miss from day one and has gotten worse over time. He pointed out it has a
rebuilt injector pump with a depot tag marked 12 98. I said "Hmmmmm.... you
got it in August 2000, the vendor got it a month or so before(June '00) ,
it probably sat in a DRMO yard for a couple of months( Feb '00?). Probably
sat at the units yard for a couple of a couple of months (Sept. '99 ?)when
they decided to dump it. Why and when did they put a rebuilt (12-98) pump
on ?"
    All filters are new and we drained them on Saturday, No joy.
    Anyone got any ideas on what's wrong?

   Ron