Re: [MV] Possibly OT: Opinions, please?? Local "code enforcement" idiots trying to steal your MV's?

From: Jumpmaster (the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 00:26:15 PDT

--- Colin Macgregor Stevens <seaforth72@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Contacting the City Attorney and the "goon's" boss
> might have the desired result. Ask for their
> feedback IN WRITING so you have something to show
the
> goon. Talk to your Mayor and Council Members. You
> could "make a case of it" and get civil libertarians
> up in arms (figuratively speaking only!) over the
> issue. Local vintage car/Mustang clubs/newspapers
> etc. can put some pressure on City Hall etc. Even a
> simple letter to the Editor of the local newspaper.

Good points...I'm considering all of these at this
point.

> Is there an ombudsman for your city?

I don't think so..:-(

> Sometimes you need to play a bureaucrats game - even
> in the USA! Consider REGISTERING it, and putting
> storage insurance on it (theft, fire, flood,
> tornado etc.).

Good point again, Colin. This is, to me, a civil
liberty issue and worthy of fighting. I don't see the
reason behind paying registration fees (that go to
road maintenance) when the vehicle isn't being driven
on the road. Add mandatory liability insurance
required to register or inspect the vehicle and it's
all pretty ridiculous.

I've notified my county Libertarian Party for advice.
I think I'm going to put up a web page about it too if
I don't receive satisfactory answers tomorrow (and get
the local media involved, etc...)

> Also consider vintage or collector
> plates if you think it will qualify for them. Sure,
> you should not have to do that, but if you are
> getting hassled ....
>
> Good luck!

Thanks...I'll make sure and get whatever the city
attorney says in writing. Unfortunately, the code
enforcement people fall under the direction of the
Fire Department. I think I'd have better luck talking
with the city manager about getting them called off of
me.

T. Bloxom
1985 M1009 CUCV