Re: [MV] Possibly OT: Opinions, please?? Local "code enforcement" idiots trying to steal your MV

From: Jumpmaster (the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 23:36:05 PDT

--- Wayne Harris <papercu@hotmail.com> wrote:
> since it is a ordnance about cars a case could be
> made since it is not registered or inspected it is
> inoperative because legally you can not drive it and
> whether it runs or not would be beside the point. It
> could be

I understand what you're saying, but I beg to
differ...I can legally drive the crap out of it on my
own private property. Yes, I know you're saying there
isn't really any such thing but in this case I mean
property under my own direct control as opposed to
public roads. That's where I would try to attack them
in court..."can't legally be operated" is not
accurate. It *can* legally be operated on my
property. Heck, for all they know I could back a
trailer up to my driveway, load up the Mustang and
take it out for a drive on my Uncle's ranch every
weekend...

Anyway, I have a few ideas...a buddy of mine is the
editor of the University paper and I may be able to
get a letter put in there if they persist. I think
(as much as I really don't like the media) I may take
some pictures of the spit-shined 'stang and send them
to the local newspaper and tv station with a letter
about the crap the city's trying to pull...oh, and a
nice colorful webpage too.

Yes, they may win the ultimate battle but I will only
have to pay a few bucks to be "compliant" if they find
against me. In the meantime, they will have a massive
PR "black eye" that they'll have a difficult time
covering up. It's likely to turn out to be quite an
embarassment to them. Imagine if you had a showroom
condition Jaguar that you wanted to keep in excellent
condition. You don't have it registered or inspected
because you trailer it to shows. The city then comes
along and says. "Hey...it's not registered or
inspected...that prize-winning Jag of yours is a
'junked motor vehicle'." It's that ridiculous...

I hope they come to the same conclusion...I have many
better things to spend my time on, like getting the
oil leak in the turbo on my 1009 fixed, for instance.
:-)

T. Bloxom
1985 M1009 CUCV