1953 M37

From: Jasper Welsch (cucvman@jam.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 15:19:02 PDT

Greetings List,
I need some advice. Situation: I have aquired a 1953 M37. It was used
(sometime) by a local Civil Defence in North MS. It was painted white over
the orginal green. The white has mostly flaked off. There is a good deal
of surface rust but no rust throughs at all. (The bed is even holding water
after our recent rains.) We hauled it back to a friend's house and it is
still on the trailer. The glass is in good shape but the passenger window
has a crack. That's the good news. The bad news is that it had a winch
that was removed by Philistines. They bent up the transmission cover and
when that didn't work they broke out the cutting torch. The winch, bumper
and PTO are all gone. The master cylinder and clutch linkage were also cut
with a torch. The engine only has 30 to 45 PSI compression. We pulled the
head and poured transmission fluid in the cylinders and left it for several
days. Replaced head (new gasket) and still the same compression. The
engine has .020 pistons now. The way I see it, these are my options:
1. Pull the engine, replace rings, probably rehone engine;
2. Roll it off in the weeds and use it for parts if (someday) I find a
better unit;
3. Pull the good parts, clean them up and take them to Dallas next year;
4. Sell the whole thing to someone on the list to recover my (minimal)
costs.
If you have suggestions or comments, let me know.
Thanks in advance.
BTW,
Joe Garrett, I am glad you are OK. Fear of that sort of event is one of the
reasons I sold my M35A2 to Chris Stansbury. I also think one should have
insurance before going on the road, unlike the guy with the M8 in CT.

Jasper Welsch at Home
1984 M1009 CUCV