[MV] 1/2 track charging problem

From: Cliff Dahl (wrcc@rapidnet.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 18:51:48 PDT

List:
I am getting ready to parade my M2A1 halftrack in our state capitol in a
couple of weeks. Our state of South Dakota has built a memorial to WWII
veterans and will be having a parade and many other events to dedicate this
event. Since I purchased my track a number of years ago, I transport the
members of our local VFW Post 1273 in all our local Veterans Day and
Central States Fair parades (I really have some good stories about those
events). A month ago, I was asked to bring my 1/2 track and the VFW guys
for the party. Since Pierre is 180 miles away, I would have a serious
problem getting the track down there. The Commanding General of our South
Dakota National Guard decided that the National Guard would be happy to
transport both the track and my M38A1 down and back for this most
worthwhile event (doesn't get much better does it). Now on to my charging
problem:

This weekend, I went to start the track and found the battery dead
(yes,disconnect switch was turned off). The battery is a 1300 cranking amp
that I installed a couple of years ago. After charging battery, got the
track started, but amp meter is not showing charge. I shut track off, and
battery was dead again. As I write this, I am charging battery again, but
wonder if sitting for ?? amount of time with dead battery caused problem.
I can't remember if this would create the situation where I need to
"polarize" the generator, and if so, I can't remember what contacts I need
to momentarily short out (I must be getting old to forget all of this
stuff, I know I used to have to do it on my 55 chevy when I was a kid). If
I do need to polarize, can it be done on inside of regulator? All wiring
from generator to regulator is shielded. I have not even had a chance to
measure voltage going to the battery while engine is running. I will do
that this coming weekend.

All help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Cliff Dahl