Question About M35A2 Transmission Replacement...

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 12:01:48 PDT

Hello list...

The transmission in my M35A2 has a really loud 5th gear.

I am considering replacing the whole transmission with a take-out
rebuilt or takeout unused transmission can be had for $450 plus
shipping.

My questions to this esteemed list of the world's most knowledgeable
experts are as follows:

  1.) Does the transmission come out fairly easily (do you
      have to pull the engine or do anything special)?

  2.) If I do pull the tranny and replace it, is there
      anything I should know ahead of time from those
      of you with experience?

  3.) Is there a better way to deal with the loud 5th
      gear noise (other than sawdust or earplugs)?

Thank you!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net