RE: [MV] Question About M35A2 Transmission Replacement...

From: Joe Garrett (j.garrett@gte.net)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 15:53:16 PDT

It comes out very, very easily. You need a 4X4 post that you lay across the
cab from door to door through the open windows. Then you need a come-along,
a short piece of chain, and for putting it back in, a floor jack. It is
truly a one man job with these tools, and with two guys, the floorjack is
not a necessity, but is certainly nice-to-have!. The transfer case is
separate, and does not have to come out, as it is hooked up via a jackshaft
about 12 inches long. You don't even have to jack the truck up. There is
plenty of room underneath, and the lions share of the work can be done form
the cab through the floor.

While you have it out, consider replacing the throw-out bearing and the
clutch plate if necessary.

Joe Garrett
cell 425-344-1402