Re: [MV] Lights and Sirens on MVs (An unpopular view)

From: John Souza (John.Souza@ci.fresno.ca.us)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 10:39:47 PDT

Actually you are only 5 to 10 mph under a speed limit. Please keep in mind that all trucks (not pickups) and all autos (including pickups) towing trailers have MAXIMUM speed of 55 mph. So that means that they could travel at 50, but not over 55 mph. If they are traveling faster than 55 mph. then they are in violation. The problem comes in where motorists aren't capable of judging distance and speed right up on your rear bumper before they realize that they are traveling faster than you and then they want to suddenly pull to the left and pass....Most of the time not even using the nice turn signals that their new auto came equiped with from the factory.

John Souza (from California)
MVPA #2697

>>> cdavis <cdavis@webworldinc.com> 09/06/01 10:05 AM >>>
Ok, this thread is pertinent to my situation and I'm open to suggestions.

I recently got my WWII era WC53 Dodge Carryall on the road and getting it
to and from events presents a problem.

It's slow, 45, maybe 50 MPH top end. To get anywhere in Southern
California you're going to be running on freeway. Traffic moves at 70+ MPH
there, a 20 to 25 MPH speed disparity. I watch them come barrelling up on
me, realizing at the last second I'm not moving at their
speed. Repeatedly, I watch the nose of these approaching vehicles drop as
they jump on the brakes. To make matters worse, they often force their way
over into the next lane, having already reduced speed, and cause a chain
reaction of panic braking and swerving.

It's like playing Russian Roulette, and one of these days the chamber isn't
going to be empty.

So, do I accept the fact that technology has outpaced these old trucks and
stay away from the freeways? I'm not going to be able to purchase a tow
vehicle and triler capable of moving 5,750 lbs of Dodge any time soon.

Or is there some way I can temporarily light or flag my vehicle so folks
notice it before they have to test their anti-lock brakes? I was thinking
magnetic based amber beacon, but now I don't know. I guess item #3: 4 way
flashers, but I'm still worried they won't be seen.

Any other ideas?

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA