Re: [MV] Lights and Sirens on MVs (An unpopular view)

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 10:37:56 PDT

Hi Henry...

As some of you know, my M1007 CUCV Suburban is set up as an MP
vehicle. This is because we actually USE it as an MP vehicle in our
combat sim operations.

When I first installed the lightbar, the local law enforcement officer
was at my front door within about an hour. He said "one of your
neighbors expressed grave concern about your lights". This is the
same neighbor that didn't like the GW Bush sign in my yard and calls
the local law enforcement whenever they can think of something to
complain about (like the M1007 getting an "abandoned vehicle" tag
after being parked on our street from 9 PM to the next morning after a
Cub Scout meeting!). That's a whole other story.

So right after I installed the lightbar I did what Henry suggests:

>4- Make canvas covers for the lights for when you are operating on public
>ways.

This is precisely what I did, and it cost me just $125 at the local
boat canvas fabricator shop. It even matches the 30277 Sand paint!

When I get to one of our combat sim sites and the vehicle is posted at
the MP station, the cover comes off.

Before the vehicle hits the public road, the cover goes back on.

Here's a good picture of the lightbar with the cover installed:

  http://www.cucv.net/lightbar_01.jpg
  http://www.cucv.net/lightbar_02.jpg

and here's a good picture of the M1007 at the MP station at our last
combat sim:

  http://www.cucv.net/mp_station_01.jpg

Thanks for the great clarification, Henry!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net