Response to [MV] Lights and Sirens on MVs (An unpopular view)

From: Henry J. Fackovec (fackovec@radiotech.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 12:30:25 PDT

Hi Dave: List..

Do not get me wrong, I do not nessicarially agree with the laws, but they
are reality (Here in Mass, NH, NY and NJ: the places that I am familiar with
the laws). I do not agree with the rules that say I can only drive 65, not
carry a sidearm in church, or can't dump my waste oil in the ground anymore,
but they are the law, and I have to obey them. (Well at lest not get caught
breaking them<LOL>)

If you want to get technical; It is illegal for a civilian to wear a
military uniform. (read complete uniform with patches, name tapes.... not a
set of unmarked BDUs) This is one of the reasons the MVPA has a clear rule
regarding this.

According to the Mass Chapter 90 (VTL) it is illegal to own a vehicle that
is marked up as a military vehicle. Note the work OWN, not operate, drive...
OWN. Same as a used police car, the seller must obliterate the markings
before delivery. When ever I pick up a vehicle from DRMO Devens, the marking
are all painted over (Do not know if it is a national thing). I was failed
on a state inspection because one of my truck said "US Army" on it. No one
is going to confuse an arcaic looking M37 for a active duty truck, but thats
the rules...

If you like to drive without seatbelts, think about moving up here to NH
where we are free to do that anytime. (As well as ride a motorcycle without
a brain bucket...)

Do not mistake my presenting my thoughts for worrying about what the next
guy is going to do, or advocating more rules; I know what is right and
wrong, and where I choose to step over the line. (And I certainly do), I
offer my thoughts to add to an existing discussion.

Hank
(Who is going to drive home tonight with my seatbelts on, because it is
safer, not because it is a law.)