New privacy intrusion on eBay

From: J. Forster (jfor@onemain.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 16:59:56 PDT

 From: J. Forster [mailto:jfor@onemain.com]

eBay Customer Support wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I received your email as
> an escalation from management. I will be more than happy to address
> your concern.
>
> There are a few reasons why we made this sign in requirement. The main
> reason for this change is because the old sign in feature only lasted
> for about 40 minutes, and members complained about having to sign in
> multiple times throughout the day. With the new sign in feature members
> will only be required to sign in once to perform most activities on
> eBay. This will allow members to move faster and easier around the site.

Speed and convenience is NOT a reason to compromise privacy. Members could opt
for cookie, or opt OUT OF THEM. You have now denied users that optiuon, ands it
stinks.

> When we make changes like this it is with the hopes that members will
> find the site easier and faster to use. Then again, we realize that not
> all members are pleased with the changes and understand your concern
> with this new requirement. However, overall the sign in feature will
> alleviate a lot of frustration with members that have to repeatedly signg
> in, and we hope that you understand our need to make this requirement.

You have not done anything to "alleviate a lot of frustration" Users
unconcerned about privacy could have accepted the cookie, and those that don't
want your corporate snooping, could opt out. You have eliminated that measure of
privacy to collect information you have absolutely no right to collect.

> Please be assured that the cookies used for sign in on eBay do not
> represent a threat to the security of your personal information.

That's YOUR opinion, not mine. You team up with companies like doubleckick to
destroy everyone's privacy.

> If you would like to know more about how eBay uses cookies please go to
> the following page:
>
> http://pages.ebay.com/help/myinfo/cookies.html
>
> We did make this change based on feedback from the eBay community. We
> never make a change like this on a whim, and rely a great deal on input
> from the community itself. The ask a seller a question feature offered
> the option to sign in while you were entering your User ID and password
> before this change. Now with the new requirement you will only need to
> enter this information once with the cookie.

And have that cookie stick around on my computer against my wishes. This is NOT
a feature but an unacceptable intrusion into people's privacy.

> We appreciate your understanding in this matter. I do understand your
> concern, but we do hope that in the future you will find this change
> useful. Thank you for being a member of the eBay community.
>
> Regards,
>
> Caroline V.
> eBay Customer Support
> eBay