Re: [MV] Lights and Sirens

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 04:24:13 PDT

4-way flashers are not only for disabled vehicles but are also for use
when going significantly slower than other traffic. On Interstate highways
you often see signs stating: "use of flashers required under 40mph" or
similar. From this 'standard' we might logically conclude that a 15mph
differential is the trigger point for flasher use. Thus if you find that
85% of traffic is coming up on you at 15mph or more, then it should be ok
to turn on your 4-ways.

[ the 85% comes from the 'standard deviation' of all drivers who define
what is 'safe & proper' for any given situation- i.e. 7.5% of drivers are
going too slow, for whatever reason, and 7.5% are going too fast based on
statistical norms. The rest are safely within the bell-curve (85th
percentile) and thus should not be ticketed for speeding/unsafe operation.
These are well-accepted engineering norms which may/should sustain you in
any court. YMMV. ]

4-ways are focussed to the rear where they are needed, and to the front
are actually amber in color and rather unobtrusive. Utility/emergency
vehicles, on the other hand, are exposed in all positions on the sides of
the road thus they require 360 degree beacons. Slow traffic cannot
logically make such a claim. One variation, that of the single-lens amber
flasher (~2 fps) when positioned toward the rear (often mounted in the
rear window) would not be too great a stretch of logic to justify,
especially if switched on only when needed (like the 4-ways). Fog or smoke
conditions would really make these useful and justifiable on any vehicle.

Bill

--
wwd@netheaven.com       M37     M185_A2