Re: [MV] New privacy intrusion on eBay

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 03:10:27 PDT

In <list-1272909@skylee.com>
    "J. Forster" <jfor@onemain.com> said:

> [...]

Why is sending a cookie 'back to itself' such a problem? And you can empty
your cookies.txt before going to ebay. You join a club, you takes the
cookies. I assume your browser can accept 'only cookies that are sent back
to itself' option?

>> If you would like to know more about how eBay uses cookies please go to
>> the following page:
>>
>> http://pages.ebay.com/help/myinfo/cookies.html
>>
>> We did make this change based on feedback from the eBay community. We
>> never make a change like this on a whim, and rely a great deal on input
>> from the community itself. The ask a seller a question feature offered
>> the option to sign in while you were entering your User ID and password
>> before this change. Now with the new requirement you will only need to
>> enter this information once with the cookie.

>And have that cookie stick around on my computer against my wishes. This
>is NOT a feature but an unacceptable intrusion into people's privacy.

You can erase it after you leave the site.

--
wwd@netheaven.com