Re: [MV] Lights and Sirens on MVs (An unpopular view)

From: Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 05:41:32 PDT

wwd@netheaven.com schrieb:

> DaveCole <davidcole@tk7.net> said:
>
> >John,
>
> >Actually, when I drive close to 80 mph on the freeways, I'm doing about
> >15 mph over the speed limit here in Indiana. Trucks here (semi's)
> >typically run 65 -70 mph - about 10 over the speed limit.
>
> But once over the line into Ohio the trucks perform an amazing reduction
> to _exactly_ 59.9mph- since the limit for them is now 55mph and the Ohio
> troopers have 'zero tolerance'.

Keh? If the limit is 55 mph and there is "zero tolerance", you must be
fined if driving 55.001 and more, not at 59,9 mph. I fine starts at 60 mph,
you have 9 per cent tolerance.

Here in Germany we have much bigger different speeds on the Autobahn:
You must be able to drive more than 60 km/h (=38 mph) to use the Autobahn.
So my Kettenkrad, which is able to run 44 mph may use the Autobahn but
I would never do it. Many cars on the left lane drive 120 mph and more
(my own car runs 140 mph), so it is not clever to drive with a slow vehicle
(slow means less than 62 mph) on the Autobahn.

Typical speed of the big trucks on the right lane is a bit less than 60 mph,
so make sure your vehicle is faster. If not, you won't have much fun on the
Autobahn, especially if you have a small vehicle.

If you have a big one (like a TATRA type 813 8x8) you don't have problems
driving only 50 mph.

Best regards from Germany
(the land with no speed limits on some Autobahns)
Andreas