CCKW paint, other stuff

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 15:07:55 PDT

Thanks for the replies about OD paint.
I think i was a little dispirited yesterday.
IT WILL be OD.

I went to a sale yesterday as i mentioned and
was able to acquire some good parts.
The gent concerned is Mal Mckay.."House Mover"
He is also ex Amphibious Army unit.
He had a 1/2 acre shed with a lifetimes work
and collecting..there was dudes from all over OZ.
even New Zealand!
He was about 70 and has health problems.

Unfortunately for me, he was cagey as a shithouse rat,
and knew the value of things, even worse, the sale was bgeing
supervised by a tank dealer from Melbourne who has Stag cars.
So he hid some good GMC 270 stuff, I think.

I did get 2 perfect side louvres for $50
6 new inlet valves $60
headlamps, tailamps, blackout, switches $100
tranny gasket kits $1
tx case kit $10
assorted other spares
($Oz =1/2 $US)
I passed on several items, but am going back today to haggle

starter motot $100
4 wheel chains $200
3 seat cushions..no price yet
winch attachements $50
ground anchor $75
new brake drums ..not priced yet
lots of hidden stuff, including engine gasket kits

I dont fancy my chances of driving a hard bargain,
and i have travelled thru India!
Because I am relatively new to this I am unsure if the prices
are good or not..I am assured the inlet valves are like hens teeth.

I did arrange to buy a GMC motor of a fellow i met for $60.
he got it in a job lot of Dodge stuff, which he collects.

I did have to laugh..i heard the expression several times
from flinty old bastards..."He is a stingy c...", in the
same breath as trying to get the best price themselves.

Most of the vehicles were finished in dark OD, apparently
Vietnam era color, looks good, similar to what i wanted,
and does hide a lot of minor flaws, as respondents to my
earlier plea mentioned, 'flaws' on a truck like this
are 'character'.

There was a group of younger fellows, about my age
(38) and they were most impressed by the scope of my resto
I had pics...they had many trucks including Studes and Mack N
and Dodge.

I also met another GMC man..he has 9 in total including
one of the 'lost French contract' ACKWX with the different
wheelbase .

Talked also to ex army guys..they told me CCKW were prone to
bogging in sand cause of duelies, is this so?

                        regards tony