Re: California registration

From: EdLortz@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 13:52:05 PDT

When I went to register my restored '47 CJ2A in California with the 20 year old Missouri registration and a bill of sale, none of the numbers matched anything on the jeep. I had to make an appointment with the chp 10 miles away (the san francisco guy retired). He looked around, attached a small metal plate with 5 digits to the underside alongside the frame with two rivets and I was on my way. Piece of cake, the officers couldn't have been nicer. Getting the appt was the time waster.

Ed Lortz
'47 CJ2-A
San Francisco

>>From: Jarrett Redd <jarrett_l_redd@yahoo.com>
Subject: [MV] big CA registration problems!

Hey folks... any ideas how to go about registering an out-of-state M998 in the
"lovely state of California"? I've tried 3 different DMV's now and they have
all refused to do it. The truck is currently titled and registered in Montana,
using the 6-digit USMC number as the VIN. But the "lovely state of California"
wants me to take the truck to a CHP office and have a new 17 digit VIN
generated for it and attached to the engine and frame. I don't want these
plates attached to my military truck, nor do I want the CHP crawling all over
the truck and/or claiming it is military property and possibly seizing it!
Does everyone have to go through this CHP inspection and get a 17-digit VIN to
get their out-of-state MV's registered in the "lovely state of California"?
How have others done it? I see deuces and humvees driving around with
California plates. Is there some secret I don't know about? Please help!!!

-Jarrett Redd
'86 M998