Re: [MV] Lights and Sirens on MVs (An unpopular view)

From: Stephen L Dussetschleger (dussetschleger@juno.com)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 16:33:47 PDT

I have a big problem with people receiving tickets for having lights on
their
vehicles that are *not* operating. If someone puts blue and red flashing
lights
on his car, truck, motorcyle, whatever and is stupid enough to use them
without
proper authorization - ie he isn't a real cop or emergency vehicle...
give him
a ticket. Same with the siren. (However I have been to many parades
where
sirens are commonly used as part of the parade)

****** Course if you follow the thought pattern of , "well if you arent'
gonna use them, why do you have to have them on it'. There have been a
few sensationalized examples of people being stopped by person's
impersonating Police. I myself find no problem with stopping people from
"displaying" lights that are "authorized" only for emergencey personell.
  I certainly wouldn't want someone who has one mounted illegally to pull
over my daughter some dark & lonely night. As an LEO I hope she respects
the traffic laws that require you to stop when you see lights in your
rear view.

To think that it is a good idea to ticket someone for just having the
lights in
place is a real danger.

****** I believe common sense on both sides is what is needed. Kinda
like the guy a while back who wrote he straps on a gun in Texas to walk
down the street just cause he can.
  NOW, I think thats dangerous.
  We ahve some old guys here that bought old cop cars & have them dolled
up . NOw that is a purpose. If your a redneck & just wanna have a redl
light on your truck, I have to wonder about why.

Analogies:

Driving a Military vehicle painted in camo ---> impersonating military
personnel

*** A lot of our vehicles are so old they just look like "huntin"
vehicles.

M38 with dummy weapon --> impersonating armed military personnel

***** Put a cover on it. Common snese.

Civilians dress in military style clothing - impersonating national
guard, military, etc

**** Sure, if YOu are gonna go on a base or something. When I wear a
uniform, it is devoid of rank, unit or name patches. Other than outer
looks, a close up will tell the difference (oh, & the gray hari & gut).

People in possession of military manuals - creating militia without
authorization, counter insurgencies, etc.

*** Hmmmm. Better go hide my TM's.

This list can go on and on. Come on this is America, not Amerika.

**** Yeah, but you just ahve to make some rules to make the 1%'s & dumb
shits w/ out common sense live by.

I think you had better stop worrying about what people do regarding
putting
light bars on their vehicles and such and start worrying about the
neighbors
down the street who think you are harboring weapons of mass destruction
or
weapons of war.

*****My mailman fixed my one neighbor who thought I might be with the
militia because of the mil-veh's. My mailman told him "No, but he is a
Nazi". My mailman knows I re-enact WWII as a member of 11th SS.

If you think light bars are bad, what about camo painted MVs?
Scary looking half tracks. Armored vehicles. Using your logic, surely
that
"must" be illegal also.

Sorry, but Amber beacons are on top of school buses, dump trucks, garbage
trucks
and many many other vehicles in Indiana. They are all legal warning
devices. I
drive over 30K miles per year and still don't get confused when I see
amber
rotating beacons. I just slow down a bit.

******* What a wonderful thing. Most people DO recognize the yellow
beacon for what it is. WARNING, something ahead requires you attention.

Come on, we pay the cops, they should be doing things that really help
stop and
deter crime. Non-operating light bars?? Doesn't seem like a big danger
to me.

****** Ah, your a better man than I as you can see it is a
non-operational kind & the owner is a fella w / common sense & has no
intention of using it illegally. Me, just a cop without ESP & I have to
answer the call from the citizen so I can make the Sheriff happy so he
can get re-elected. Just doin my job.

Folks, we if we keep going in this direction, America will become a
police
state. We can't have our rights but then also deny other people's
rights. It
just doesn't work.

***** The legal quote I live by is "your rights end at the tip of my
nose".

Dave in Indiana - now going out and placing my large amber rotating
beacon on my
M51 dump and going for a ride! I might even get real defiant and leave
off my
seatbelt for a mile or two.

******** Dave, not meant as a flame or otherwise. Just my response to
your opinion. Hope we can get together some time. Heck, your just down
the road a ways.
    Steve
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.