Re: [MV] Lights and Sirens on MVs (An unpopular view)

From: Rich Weinkauf (rweinkauf@msn.com)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 09:33:00 PDT

>In Michigan most of the freeways are 70 mph. Car's run 75-80 mph
routinely, trucks run 65-70 and faster. That is reality. If my M51 is
doing 50 mph (about top speed), then the cars are running almost 30 mph
faster and the semis are running 15 mph faster.

The above is definitely true here in Michigan, and often cars are running
faster (you really notice it as you cross into Michigan from Ohio, when all
the cars jam on it to increase speed by 10 mph minimum at the border).

While driving my M35A2 I avoid freeways whenever possible, taking surface
streets and county/country roads when possible. On those occasions when I
have to take a freeway, I activate both amber Convoy Warning Lights, and of
course, always drive with the headlights on. I have read the admonitions in
the towing journals against using amber warning lights while in transit, but
choose to err on the side of being visible.

Rich
Rich Weinkauf, N8QLT
Cruise Missile Coordinates: 42d 28.05'N 083d 22.87'W
HummerID 97.5 Fly Yellow Wagon
1970 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 ** MVPA #20486
Load Warrior Website
http://home.talkcity.com/Terminus/loadwarrior/index.html