Re: [MV] TERRORIST ATTACK IN NEW YORK & WASHINGTON

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 03:21:14 PDT

In <list-1285863@skylee.com>, on 09/12/01
   at 06:21 AM, Maurizio Beretta <pierino@tin.it> said:

>>The door to the cockpit should be locked down tight, even before the plane
>>is loaded, on all commercial flights. Recently pilots were interviewed and
>>some maintained they should retain the right to have an open door if they
>>personally choose. Well the people on the ground have rights too! A
>>highjacked plane is a guided missile, and there are NO fighter planes
>>available to scramble and intercept.

>let me say a word, as this IS my job...

>we pilots are trained not to interfere on first moments of an hijacking.
>then, please consider that cockpit doors are just a "plastic" shield and
>that, if somebody knocks at the door saying that a cabin attendant has a
>knife to her throat, I will release immediately the electric latch...

Then your training is *wrong* and is part of the problem. These hijackers
used physical force and tiny knives only, as reported.

>none could imagine what yesterday really happened, and no hijacked planes
> were ever taken over control by hijackers.

It has appeared in at least one novel. You have no imagination. 'ever'??

>flight procedure will be changed and improuved (many things will change
>from today on...)

sure, sure.

>ground security procedures as well, as probably there is THE problem.

Nonsense- they will bring NYLON knives (invisible on exray). But, yes
every passenger should be patted down and all luggage lined up on the
tarmac- El Al style.

Bill

--
wwd@netheaven.com