Jeep Horn Buttons, water in the tranny, and skid plates

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 16:05:05 PDT

I'm putting my MB back together as a runner, basically original and complete
but very un-perfect as to condition. One problem, of many, from the
previous owner was water running thru the horn button and getting into the
steering box. As I look at my mitey mite it has a steering wheel nut that
takes a rubber cup that goes over the horn button and is held on with a thin
metal ring. Is this system used on M38's or M38-A1's by chance? It's not
orignal for MB's but I'm thinking that until the level 2 restoration takes
place this would be one less potential problem to worry about. It has to
sit outside and even with a cover, water still gets everywhere.

Which brings me to part two. I drained the transfer and tranny and found a
large quatity of the most clear/clean water comming out. The clutch also
acts as if it is oil soaked. Seems to me the problems are related. The
water has been collecting in the gear boxes and the oil has been slowly
displaced out the front the tranny into the bell housing till there was no
more. Is it possible for that much water to enter just thru a bad rubber
boot on the shifter and running thru the shift lever? I don't see any other
way. I guess the temporary solution is to flush the clutch out thru the
access cover with brake cleaner, perhaps many cans, and refill the tranny
and transfer with oil and change it out a few times and put on a new rubber
boot. I suppose a better cover/tarp would help also. Any one run into this
before?

And lastly, in order to get the front drive shaft off to replace the
never-greased joints, I had to take off the skid plate and cross member as
the skid plate was smashed up in the front, presumably from rolling over a
log or something. I have a parts MB of the same year, 45, which I was going
to just swap skid plates and cross members with. But I notice that both are
very different from the MB I am working on. These are both 45 Willy's MB's
yet one skid plate is in two pieces and the other a one piece thing. The
parking brake cable on one goes thru the cross member with a clamp while the
other just rests on it and the clamp is actually on the brake mechanism.
When did this change occur? I think I am going to use the existing cross
member but replace the skid plate with the one piece one from the parts
jeep, for now anyway

thanks,

je